www.brewmangroup.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BJCP group

3 posters

Go down

BJCP group Empty BJCP group

Post  Porter Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Anyone who is interested in taking the BJCP exam should email Jason McLaughlin at iasanlee@hotmail.com. He will be conducting the exam on the morning of Sunday October 25. The study groups will take place in south Lincoln and will be held on Sunday evenings beginning in July. Jason said that if you make it to all of the meetings and put forth the effort he will make sure that you pass the exam. The cost is $50. Harker, Librarian and myself will all be taking the exam and it would be cool if as many of us as possible would take it. See you Friday!
--Porter
Porter
Porter

Back to top Go down

BJCP group Empty Re: BJCP group

Post  Dobee Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:47 pm

I've Thrown my name into the hat too.
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

BJCP group Empty BJCP

Post  Harker Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:29 am

Wow, this BJCP testing is not going to be a picnic!

Porter and I was reading some sample questions and looking at the study guide. Wow!

We will have to memorize every style of beer, the specs of the style (IBUs, gravity, water, characteristics, etc...), the place of origin, the historical aspects and commercial examples of each. We will also need to memorize the water profiles for every major beer producing city. The easiest part, yet still somewhat difficult, will be identifying every single type of infection, their attributes, the causes and the biology behind it. On top of this, we will have 10 essay questions that are impossible to completely answer within the 3 hours they give you. We will have to try 3 randomly selected beers of unkown style and origin, unbeknownst to the judge as well, and rate them according to BJCP guidelines. Our ratings and justification of the rating have to be within 7 points of the BJCP administrator.

This is going to be tough regardless of the amount of preperation we put in to it. We will need to get a 70% to pass. McLaughlin got the highest score of the Lagers with a 77%. I don't think anyone has ever scored over a 90%. McLaughlin said he wrote constantly for 3 hours and felt that he needed at least 45 minutes longer.

This will be no cake walk, but will be worth it in the end.
Harker
Harker

Back to top Go down

BJCP group Empty Re: BJCP group

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down