www.brewmangroup.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jester vs. Jamil

2 posters

Go down

Jester vs. Jamil Empty Jester vs. Jamil

Post  written1 Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:07 am

Ok, so last night I brewed my second BQ Irish Red (with the help of the scribe). We also tasted some scumptrulescent beers, and some not-so scrumptrulescent homemade mead (not of our making obviously, since everything we make is awesome). Anyway, some background... Since the crazlenut incident (which it has been known as since the heinous occasion) I've decided to brew two batches of beer this time, pick the better one for entry, and drink the other. My idea for this BQ was to brew one recipe of my own formulation, and then brew Jamil's exact recipe for comparison. About a month ago, I brewed my recipe and just kegged it the other night, pretty happy with it so far. Last night, I brewed Jamil's recipe. With 6oz of roasted barley, it seems WAY too dark (more like a brown, less like a red). I considered scaling down the roasted barley to 4oz, but then that would defeat the purpose of the experiment!! Anyway, we'll see how it turns out. Below are the recipes:

Hop O' The Mornin' to Ya Irish Red
(I was going to dry hop this with some EKGs, but decided not to after tasting it while putting in the secondary....hoppy enough for an Irish Red)
5lbs Marris otter
3lbs 2-row
1lb aromatic
0.5lb 40L
0.25lb 120L
2oz Roasted Barley
EKG 1oz at 60, 1oz at 5min, 0.5 oz while cooling with immersion chiller)
American ale II (WY1272)

Jamil's Irish Red

10lbs Marris Otter
6oz 40L
6oz 120L
6oz roasted barley
EKG (1.25oz at 60min)
American Ale II yeast (only difference from Jamil's recipe; I don't trust the Irish Ale after the crazlenut incident)
written1
written1

Back to top Go down

Jester vs. Jamil Empty Re: Jester vs. Jamil

Post  Dobee Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:09 pm

SEE i'm telling ya the roasted barley that Empyrean has is WAY dark..... Hence forth why I used chocolate malt. Good luck on both. Me and Ryan will be kegging ours next weekend so hopefully it turns out.
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  written1 Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:02 pm

So, I just tasted my (Jester's) Irish red, and I think it is pretty solid. A malty, slightly roasty nose with some estery and caramel notes. Malty taste with just enough bitterness (maybe too much for the style), dry caramel, a little figgy without a whole lot of sweetness. It will be interesting to see how this compares with Jamil's recipe, which I am guessing will be a good bit roastier.

anyway, stay tuned.

Jester
written1
written1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down