www.brewmangroup.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brewings On Deck

+4
Librarian
Dobee
written1
scribe
8 posters

Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty Brewings On Deck

Post  scribe Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:48 am

I know I sent this through email, but I was wondering what brews everyone was thinking about/planning on brewing in the next few weeks/months.

Here is my list again:

1. All-Cascade Pale Ale
2. Baltic Porter (w/Bill)
3. Ringwood Mild
4. Euro Pils (The "Skunk in the Trunk" Pilsner)
5. Old Speckled Hen Clone
scribe
scribe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty Jester's Lineup

Post  written1 Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 pm

tonight: Jamil's Irish Red...only difference is i am using American II instead of Irish yeast.
Baltic Porter
American Amber
Pliny Clone
NExt Empyrean Beerquest entry

That is all...
written1
written1

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty Re: Brewings On Deck

Post  Dobee Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:37 pm

Really about the only thing I have on deck is an imperial stout. The reason why is I am moving so that just kills brewing.
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Librarian Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Wow, Jester, I had the same idea of using the American II yeast for my Irish red! I also got the irish ale yeast, so I'm gonna try the same recipe with these two yeasts and see the difference.

Oh ya, and here's what I got planned so far:
1) in primary: IPA based on the Avery clone recipe, racking and dry hopping tomorrow.
2) Tomorrow, BQ Irish Red
3) A Belgian Trappist style using Rochefort yeast isolated by the Jester!
4) Rye wine
Librarian
Librarian

Back to top Go down

Post  scribe Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Okay... so who's brewing the barley wine?

So far we have 2 wheat wines and a rye wine in the making. We need a barely wine to complete the trinity.

I smell a BrewManGroup "Wine" Meeting Sampling!

(and I think we could do without the Rice Wine..ha!)
scribe
scribe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  written1 Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:16 pm

I have a barley wine that I brewed about 1.5 years ago. Most of it is being saved for Christy's and my graduation party, but I could probably part with a few bottles. Actually, I am submitting a bottle to the national competition this year, just haven't decided whether to submit it as American or English....I'll probably go the english route. Maybe you guys can tell me after you taste it
written1
written1

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty Porter's non-porters

Post  Porter Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Alright, here's my list:

1) In primary: Wheat wine (or imperial wheat stout if you prefer)
2) tonight: Irish red
3) 240 Minute IPA! 20% abv here I come!
4) All simcoe imperial IPA (using only 2 row and light crystal)

I am 100% behind having a "wine" night in a few months!

Last edited by Porter on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Porter
Porter

Back to top Go down

Post  written1 Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Porter wrote:Alright, here's my list:

1) In primary: Wheat wine (or imperial wheat stout if you prefer)
2) tonight: Irish red using safale S-04 (blue packet) english style dry yeast-- has anyone used this one?
3) 240 Minute IPA! 20% abv here I come!
4) All simcoe imperial IPA (using only 2 row and light crystal)

I am 100% behind having a "wine" night in a few months!

I used the S-04 blue packet twice. Once I used it in conjuntion with S-05 for an Imperial IPA. I also used it for the Pussy Mild that I made. Pretty decent. I would say it is probably a good choice for an Irish Red
written1
written1

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty Schweit's Swills

Post  Schweit Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:51 pm

Sad to say but None.. As of right now living in an Apt. on the 3rd floor I just have no room to brew.. I will try and make my Honey Brown sometime in April.. But thats FAR FAR away yet

And for thoughs of you who dont know what swill means..

Swill can refer to any cheap, usually poor-tasting beverage, especially beer or liquor of many kinds, or to food unfit for human consumption. This usage is likely derived from the term pig-swill, which is a generic term for waste products mixed together into pig feed. Pigs are notoriously indiscriminate in their eating habits.
Schweit
Schweit

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty Vocabulary

Post  Porter Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:33 am

Any way we can get an area to keep track of our ever-increasing brewing-related vocabulary? i.e.
Swill
Brew balls
flarging
barging
27 inch probe

Last edited by Porter on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Porter
Porter

Back to top Go down

Post  scribe Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:54 pm

hahaha... "Don't tell anyone you lost your 27 inch probe!" haha...

Perhaps we should have a forum dedicated to our: Vocabrewary!

Dobee?

Kirk's terms should have their own post (e.g., world famous autograph, yeastie beasties, 27 inch, big boys need big toys--and yes he said that to my wife when we were in there once!!)
scribe
scribe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty Smithwick's Clone

Post  Midwest Mick Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:01 pm

Has anybody ever try a Smithwick's Clone? Give me your feed back on this recipe.

Ingredients:

(Recipe for 18.9 Liters or 4.99 Gallons U.S.)

7 1/2 lbs. English Pale Malted Barley Extract
1 lb. of crystal malt
6 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz Corn Starch
1 1/2 oz Fuggles hops 4.5% alpha acid
2 tsp. Gypsum
1 tsp. Chalk
1/2 tsp. Epsom Salts
1/2 oz Goldings hops (finishing)
Wyeast British Ale Yeast

Method:
Infusion mash at 150˚ F. (include the cornstarch in the mash). Add 1 tsp. of the Gypsum to the sparge water. Add the rest of the gypsum, Epsom salts and Chalk to the boiler. Boil with Fuggles hops for 75 minutes. Add the Goldings finishing hops during the last 2 minutes. Force chill to 70˚. Specific Gravity 1.046. Ferment as usual.

Thanks,

Pete
Midwest Mick
Midwest Mick

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty Re: Smithwick's clone

Post  Porter Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:30 am

I'm not real familiar with Smithwick's, only had it a couple times. I think the recipe is solid, but I'm curious about the corn starch. Is that just to bolster fermentables (alcohol) without adding body? Would you be using dry malt extract or liquid? I think I've had better luck with the dry (just a personal preference). I think you could also get away with using the Safale S-04 (english) dry yeast packet. (more bang for the buck!) however that is also simply a matter of preference. Let us know how it turns out!

-Porter
Porter
Porter

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty Brewings on Deck

Post  Harker Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:46 am

Well, here is my limited list.

Bottled: Abbey Dubble (failed beer quest entry). Finally carbonated, close to being Rittenoured though.

Brewing: Irish Red tomorrow
Brewing: TBA, does anyone want to brew on Monday at my place (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)?
I would like to do a pale ale, brown or a desert island pilsner.
Brewing: Following beer quest I would like to brew an amber bock clone. I know, I know, but
it's mainly in response to some requests.
Harker
Harker

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Mick Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Porter wrote:I'm not real familiar with Smithwick's, only had it a couple times. I think the recipe is solid, but I'm curious about the corn starch. Is that just to bolster fermentables (alcohol) without adding body? Would you be using dry malt extract or liquid? I think I've had better luck with the dry (just a personal preference). I think you could also get away with using the Safale S-04 (english) dry yeast packet. (more bang for the buck!) however that is also simply a matter of preference. Let us know how it turns out!

-Porter

I think the cornstarch is for the fermentation, since dextrose is derived from it. I would like to use dry malts, but do not have much experience doing using it. I may get together with Dobee and brew it.Anybody know where I can get a 5 Gal Keg? Thanks!

Pete
Midwest Mick
Midwest Mick

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty RE:

Post  Porter Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:15 am

If you're in Bellevue, Fermenter's Supply is probably the best place. You can get them cheaper online, however after you pay shipping it's a wash. Watch your words in that store though, the owner (Frank) can be a real homebrew nazi!
Porter
Porter

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty 5 gallon keg

Post  Harker Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:37 am

Well, you can buy a corny keg at Kirks for $40. With the fittings it is $63. I did this a couple days ago, however, if you aren't in a hurry I would go about it differently. Kirk refused to pump in some carbonation to ensure that the keg held pressure. He said that my purchases was "as is". I asked him what would happen if I got home and found that it doesn't hold pressure, and he said "well, you're going to have to come back and buy the stuff to fix it." This is a bit discouraging.

Porter bought 2 used corny kegs, all the fittings and a guarantee, for around $60 or so. I would look online unless you are in a hurry.
Harker
Harker

Back to top Go down

Post  scribe Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:58 am

http://www.beveragefactory.com/

i'm a big fan... i think jester is too.
scribe
scribe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Brewings On Deck Empty Carnes' IPA

Post  Harker Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:10 am

Well guys,

If you didn't get my text from last night, I want to take this time to talk about Carnes' IPA. It is amazing! This beer has all the best qualities of the IPAs we tried at the tasting. You can really pick out the qualities of his columbus, centennial, cascade and simcoe combination. According to Carnes, it was inspired by that Avery recipe that the scribe sent out to us. He tweaked it quite a bit, but it deserved to go up against Captain Avery in a head to head. Carnes' is better in my opinion. Carnes' is a little closer to the Imperial mark than Avery, but it's a fantastic drinking beer that you could have multiples of. You should all do yourselves a favor and try this one if you can.
Harker
Harker

Back to top Go down

Post  Librarian Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:02 pm

Wow, thanks for the nice review, Harker. That was my first batch on my newly constructed electric system. So far, I've also made 2 batches of Irish Red on it. I have shit tons of fun brewing with that system! It's completely functional now, but I still have some upgrades planned, partly for looks, but mostly to have a very controlled system. Eventually, I'll have to install some kind of ventilation to exhaust all the water vapor, but it's no problem during the winter.
Librarian
Librarian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum