www.brewmangroup.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frankenstout

Go down

Frankenstout Empty Frankenstout

Post  scribe Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:28 am

So, my Foreign Extra Stout (sometimes referred to as "Export"--these are Foreign Extras that are often shipped out to other countires, usually Carribean, India, etc... and are more fruity than Extras) is a Work In Progress.

When Carnes and I used the mill, we were trying to find the right grind, in experimenting, we came close, but I think many of the roasted barley grains (or "beer seeds" as my wife refers to them) "slipped through" the rollers. As such, I am left with a milk chocolate colored stout! The reason I think this is the case is because Bill used 6 oz. of the stuff and our beers are damn close to the same color! (oh and by the way... I used 1 pound!!). In addition to color, I have noticed that beer isn't as fruity, roasty, or strong as I had hoped (aiming for 1.072 gravity, got 1.066). SO... I am going to do a mini mash today or tomorrow and cross my fingers. Here is my plan:

.75 Carafa II (make sure it's Black as Hell)
.25 Roasted Barley (add more roasty notes)
.25 Special B
.25 Carastan (37L Crystal UK--not insulting your knowledge, just being thorough)

I will put these malts in a grain bag, bring 3 quarts of water to 153 for 45 minutes, sparge with 170F by pouring another quart over the bag, then bringing to a boil. Boil for 30 minutes (do I need longer with this size?), then turn down heat. At flameout, I will add my 20 oz. of "soured stout", keeping the temp of the wort between 190 and 200 for 20 minutes or so. Then, chill, add to secondary vessel, rack the beer on top. My stout has been in the primary for 14 days, so it should be good by now.

Hopefully, these modifications will increase the color, roastiness, fruitiness, and body. Now, let me have it: questions, concerns, critiques?
scribe
scribe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Frankenstout Empty Re: Frankenstout

Post  scribe Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Okay. Finished the experiment. My mini-mash was as black as the devil's balls. Outcome? Very little difference. I am completely beside myself! Not sure what to do on this one, guys. I'll keep you posted.

---scribe
scribe
scribe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum