www.brewmangroup.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish swill update.

5 posters

Go down

Irish swill update. Empty Irish swill update.

Post  Dobee Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:37 pm

So me and Ryan were worried about our Irish Red Swill we made. The reason is we put it in an unplugged fridge in a garage. Thinking that the fridge is insulated and it should stay about the same temp as the beer. Boy were we wrong. Temp today inside the fridge and for the beer was around 43 degrees (it has been this for about a week and half.) We also did not check for about a week so when we came to it it was at 43.

Since today was my day off I figured i would pull out (hehe) the fermenter from the fridge and check out the gravity. Well thankfully and happily it sat about 1.010 at around 43 degrees. So it should be done fermenting!!!!

As far as the taste its a rich caramel and toffee flavor w/ hints of butter in it. It has a nice amber/brown color to it. IT IS AWESOME can't wait to try it carbonated. Schweit will have to try and see how it compares to his honey brown since that is his favorite beer he ever made..... So it would be nice to go for a 2 peat, or a 4 peat if someone else wins the competition. Good luck to all.

Next up kegging the swill and feeding it to the pigs (mainly me and schweit but I guess we will share with the public.), then it is on to a nice imperial stout....... MMMMMMM Imperial stout *drool
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Irish swill update. Empty RE:

Post  Porter Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:34 pm

I am also a bit worried about my Irish red, because I only used 24 grams of challenger first wort and nothing else. Why? you might ask--because I wanted to experiment with first wort hopping to see if any flavor/aroma remained after boiling for 60 minutes. So far the fermentation is going quite well, and I can smell a noticeable hop aroma coming from the airlock, so we'll see.
Also, I accidentally mashed at 156 instead of 154 because I must have underestimated my grain temperature by a few degrees. This could leave the FG a bit higher than I wanted. I am using the S-04 and fermenting at 62 deg. Hope it turns out in time!
Porter
Porter

Back to top Go down

Irish swill update. Empty Irish Swill

Post  Harker Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:54 pm

Hey Dobee and Schweitz, I hope that toffee/butter flavor your getting is not diacytal. I have had a couple beers carry this butter flavor, which isn't always that bad, but in an irish red it could be more noticeable. What yeast did you use? Im sure glad your beer fermented down, im a bit surprised.

I brewed my irish last Friday, and this is one of the most vigerous fermentations i've had. That british ale yeast seems to be doing the trick. It could also be that I only ended up with 4.2 gallons instead of my anticipated 5.3. Damn Kent Goldings whole hops.
Harker
Harker

Back to top Go down

Irish swill update. Empty Re: Irish swill update.

Post  scribe Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Thanks for the updates boys!

Dobee and Shweitz: yes.. that butter is most definitely diacetyl. Did you use irish ale yeast? If so, there is a purposeful diacetyl flavor that comes through as it is true to style. You shouldn't get docked for that at all! see here: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp004.html

If it is too prevalent, you may want to do the a 70 degree diacetyl rest for a day or so before bottling/kegging. Otherwise, sounds delish!!

Porter: High temp mashes are underrated and underused!! (Although, yes, 156 is a tad high). I'm a big fan of a higher FG--especially with Euro styles! I'm pumped to try this bad boy! AND to try the first wort hop to see how much flavor/aroma will come through given that you didn't add any late additions.

Belding: You'll probably win this damn contest again... you bastard.
scribe
scribe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Schweit Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Hey Guys.. Just putting my two cents in.. I thought the beer was great very drinkable..Id like a bit more malty flavor and as for the butter flavor... I didnt taste any at all, but who know my tongue might suck. I'll try and bring a growler on it to the next meeting and get your guys opinion on it
Schweit
Schweit

Back to top Go down

Post  Schweit Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Ok so tried the Irish Swill after its been kegged and on CO2 for a couple days... And I must say its FANTASTIC! Very Crisp clean beer.. Hints of toffee, malt and hops... VERY VERY drinkable beer.. I almost want to lose so we can keep the 10 gallons we made LOL
Schweit
Schweit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down