www.brewmangroup.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corny Keg Leaks

2 posters

Go down

Corny Keg Leaks Empty Corny Keg Leaks

Post  scribe Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:12 pm

Okay... so after reading through a few forums and a brief talk with Kirk, I have learned a few things about the Corny Keg Leak problems. Apparently, (a) everyone has leaking problems and (b) they seem to be quite fixable. Some of these things you guys probably know.. but I just wanted to run through these tips I learned this weekend.

1. The Big O-Ring can be replaced, but unless it is really old and/or there is a tear in it, it is often okay. From what I understand, this seal needs (a) to be wet and (b) to be stretched (that's what she said). Basically, you want to make sure that the the O-ring has been well-soaked by the beer and/or sanitizer as a dry seal will almost always leak air. Also, Kirk (and other forums) talk about the need to "stretch" this O-ring by blasting it with ALOT of CO2 pressure in order for it to fit snuggly. Kirk was saying how 30PSI is a good place to start for the first 48 hours, then after the ring has been stretched, it will stay in place for the 10-15 PSI desired to dispense the beer. People were saying how often the O-rings never maintain an initial good seal because 10-15 PSI isn't enough to stretch the ring.

2. Turn the lid around (you guys all mentioned this).

3. The pressure release valve/pin on the keg can be tightened. I noticed small hissing coming from the small holes under the release valve pin. Kirk was telling me that it is probably loose. He said, first tighten the plastic cylindrical top clockwise with your fingers. Then (very gently) get some pliers and keep tightening it till it can't be tightened anymore. This fixed my problem immediately--and I didn't have to buy anything. (Thanks Carnes for those Vice Grips--they sure came in handy!).
scribe
scribe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Corny Keg Leaks Empty Re: Corny Keg Leaks

Post  Librarian Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:43 pm

I just got these things in the mail today. They are sockets for removing the in and out posts on ball lock corny kegs. I got a couple of used kegs that I could not get the "in" piece off using vise grips or channel locks, so hopefully these will help.
l will be happy to let you guys use them if you need to.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/19003/102291/Deep_Socket_for_Body_Connects_11_16_in.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/19004/102291/Deep_Socket_for_Body_Connects_7_8_in._12_Point
Librarian
Librarian

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum