www.brewmangroup.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xperimental Ale Competition will be the next beer quest.

3 posters

Go down

Xperimental Ale Competition will be the next beer quest. Empty Xperimental Ale Competition will be the next beer quest.

Post  Dobee Thu May 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that the next beer quest is going to be experimental ales. I haven't decided if I am going to enter as I am currently in the Research and Development process of making a still. It is of course for water purposes only..... If I do make a beer for this it may be a Juniper Rye like I have been wanting to do for awhile. I was also thinking of an orange basil beer but I don't know how that would turn out.....

Registration is open Tuesday at 5pm.

So I know Ryan is out. What is everyone else going to do for this Beer quest?

Last edited by Dobee on Fri May 22, 2009 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Xperimental Ale Competition will be the next beer quest. Empty Re: Xperimental Ale Competition will be the next beer quest.

Post  Librarian Thu May 21, 2009 11:42 pm

What Dobee . . . orange basil?! I guess you do have a culinary degree... I haven't decided yet what to make. I'm really into growing algae right now, so an algae beer is a possibility (unless Jim outlaws algae this time). Certain types of algae are very nutritious.

The still sounds awesome! I've had thoughts about building a still for a while (of course not for alcohol, but perhaps for capturing the essence of honeysuckle and lavender, maybe hops). What are you thinking of for your design? I've seen some pretty cool stills made out of kegs. And I used to operate a continuous multistage distillation column in the chemical engineering lab. My favorite class in college was on distillation; I'd love to help in any way i can or be around when you fire it up!
Librarian
Librarian

Back to top Go down

Xperimental Ale Competition will be the next beer quest. Empty Re: Xperimental Ale Competition will be the next beer quest.

Post  Dobee Fri May 22, 2009 3:26 pm

Well according to law I can only have a still that is 1 gal. or under for water puroposes or extracting oils that do not produce alchohol. So I will most definitly tell you when I fire it up to distill my first pot of water.

I think I am going to make a 1 gallon tower still (I haven't decided if I am going to make columns since it is for water purposes.). But I have seen some where rather then columns it has the in and out cooling tubes run through the up tubing. This will condense the water and make a better distillation process in theory, But it is a little bit more work in the long run.
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobee Thu May 28, 2009 12:48 pm

Wow I am shocked that this competition hasn't filled up yet. Although there are three brewmen that are not entering.......... I still have no idea what I am doing I just got 20lbs of grain and 6 oz of hops I'll figure it out. I am leaning towards a citrusy sweet basil wheat....
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Xperimental Ale Competition will be the next beer quest. Empty Dobee's Orange basil Wheat beer

Post  Harker Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:52 pm

Hey Dobee,

I think that the citrus basil wheat would be fun to make, but I should tell you about a conversation I had with Jim E the other day. As you know, I had that triticale wit beer (aka belgian wheat) that won the competition last year. Well, Jim was scolded because the owners of empyrean/telesis did not want another wheat beer on tap. Jim essentially told me the other day that they would not be able to put another wheat beer on tap if it won the competition. I was expecting him to post that in the rule guidelines for this competition, but I didn't see it. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you about that before you decide on wheat. I wanted to make a wheat beer also, but I reconsidered after that conversation with Jim. There are some other beers that lend themselves to citrus additions, like a saison, kolsh, blonde or some porters.

Good luck, I think I am going to make a raspberry or rhubarb blonde.
Harker
Harker

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobee Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Interesting...... I might just do a basil ipa then and see how it turns out. I got a bunch of simcoe and amarillo to bring out a citrus w/o citrus..... So it might be blonde or it might be a pale we will see. Also I thought about adding ryan to mine this time, but since last time I did that we won I want all the credit. Is that wrong of me? Thanks for the heads up on that.
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobee Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Got my ingreedients today, and noticed that there is a cask night next monday for the brown. Anyone down to go and have a few pints on the 6th?
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Librarian Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:16 am

If you add Ryan to yours, then if you win you will have to add 80 ryans to it when you brew it with Rich!

I'll plan on going to cask night. Thanks for the reminder, I usually end up forgetting about it. I think they just brewed that brown on Monday, so that means it will only be one week old at cask night!!!
Librarian
Librarian

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobee Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:49 am

If I don't get the Still done this weekend (I have a graduation on Saturday) I will bring the sanke to you on Monday at cask night.
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Librarian Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:44 pm

Cool. Thanks Dobee.
Librarian
Librarian

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobee Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:07 pm

So it is on for the Citrus Basil IPA. I talked to Kirk and he thinks it's a good idea. He even raised an eyebrow. I must be on the path to true enlightenment if I can get Kirk to get pumped up about it. So I have a British Ale yeast, and I am going to use simcoe, and Amarillo for hops. With a possibility of using a tettananger for a finishing hop with the basil. If it turns out I thinks it might be a damn good beer. Although if I go against wayne's Carrot beer I may lose.
Dobee
Dobee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down