Dry Hopping

Go down

Dry Hopping

Post  scribe on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Hey.. I read this on a brewing website post. If you're using whole hops to dry hop, this is the way to go:

---------------

"I've got a technique for dry hopping that I'd like to share with you guys.
Recently dry hopped a double IPA with 2 ounces of Amarillo (whole.) I'm sure like a lot of you guys I like to do my secondary fermentation in a glass carboy. This makes it a little tricky to dry hop. Originally I would just throw the hops loose in the bottom and rack onto them. I still think this is a good method and very easy to do but I just felt like the hops were absorbing a fair amount of liquid. So I then went to the bag method which isn't the easiest to cram two ounces of whole hops in a bag through the small carboy opening much less getting it out again. My problem with this method is the hop bag floats and a large amount of my hops are sitting above the liquid line. I understand that they have absorbed fluid but it didn't seem like a very effective way. So next I heard of sanitizing marbles and throwing them in the hop bag causing it to sink in the fermentor. Better but I didn't care for the idea of my hops buried in a layer of trub at the bottom so again back to the drawing board. Finally my brew buddy devised a great solution. We crammed the hops into the bag through the mouth of the carboy with the marbles in place but we used fishing line to tie up the hop bag and ran a length to the bottom of the airlock keeping the hop bag suspended in the middle of the carboy, fully submerged yet off of the trub! This is definitely not the easiest route but with a little practice gauging how many marbles (steelies work best) and how much fishing line you need this is a pretty effective way to dry hop. Not to mention when it's time to bottle you pop the airlock and the hop bag comes with it. No more trying to fish out a swollen bag of hops, getting it back out the carboy mouth still takes some finnese though."
scribe
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dry Hopping

Post  Harker on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:18 am

Ya, I think we have had this conversation before Scribe.

I really do think that the best way to dry hop is to suspend the bag for maximum exposure when you are using a bag. Another way I have read is to sanitize some fishing line and a couple stainless steel washers. Leave about 6-8 inches between the washers and hop bag, and drop it in. It will suspend in the middle for quite some time. I sort of like this guys method of tying the line to the carboy top and using marbles, that way you can pull out the hop bag before you keg/bottle the beer.

Last time I dry hopped roughly 2 ounces of pellets. I divided my bag into 4 sections with the long string (4 different hops, I didn't want to just mix them all for some reason). I simply dropped them in. 1 week later they were still floating just as I expected. Kirk promised me that they would sink after 3 days. Nope! I should have known better, it wasn't my 1st dry hop experience. I have never had a bag sink.
Harker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dry Hopping

Post  Librarian on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:42 am

When I'm using pellet hops for dry hopping, I just dump them in loose. They float for a few days. But after 2-3 days I gently bump or tilt the fermentor and this really helps them sink.
Librarian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dry Hopping

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down