www.brewmangroup.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Ale (Extra IPA)

4 posters

Go down

Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Ale (Extra IPA) Empty Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Ale (Extra IPA)

Post  scribe Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:54 pm

I think we've all tried this one.. and to an extent, have all "liked it." I found out about the hop bill...and wanted to post this. They use Sterling, Crystal and Citra. Here are the descriptives on Citra:

The variety Citra, with a alpha acid content
between 10-12% and an oil content of 2-3 %
originated from a cross between the female
European noble aroma variety Hallertauer
mittelfrueh and a male that was derived from the
variety known as U.S. Tettnanger. Citra is 50%
Hallertauer mittelfrueh, 25% U.S. Tettnanger and
the remaining 25% is East Kent Golding,
Bavarian, Brewers Gold and other unknown hops.
Citra has a special flavor and aroma that it
imparts to beer. Depending on the brewing
process and the hopping rate, the flavors and
aromas of beers hopped with Citra might range
from grapefruit to lime, melon, gooseberry, and
lychee fruit.

from: Probasco, Gene: Citra—A new special aroma hop variety
scribe
scribe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Ale (Extra IPA) Empty Re: Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Ale (Extra IPA)

Post  Porter Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:28 am

Good work, scribe. I like that beer more and more each time I try it. I think the citra imparts a unique and very enjoyable characteristic to the flavor. The grain bill is also very nice and compliments the citra well.
--Porter
Porter
Porter

Back to top Go down

Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Ale (Extra IPA) Empty Re: Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Ale (Extra IPA)

Post  written1 Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:38 am

while I enjoy the Torpedo very much, I just don't think the aroma is there! The hop flavor is awesome, that balance with the malt is good, and the bitterness is just enough to be enjoyable, but NO HOP AROMA!!

Your thoughts?

Jester
written1
written1

Back to top Go down

Post  scribe Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Could not agree more, Jester. I went to Yia Yia's last night with a friend and we both had the Torpedo and Boulevard IPA. The hop aroma on the Torpedo is almost non-existent. This tells me that there were massive late additions with no dry hopping. I'm still a bit partial to the more concrete notes (e.g., grapefruit, tangerine, and pine for AIPAs and Floral, Herbal, and Soapy for the EIPAs) the citra, however, intrigues me. I can't necessarily pick out any particular notes--more of a collage, if you will.

The Boulevard IPA, four words: Great Aroma, Moderate Flavor. I wasn't impressed with the balance. To me, it seemed as though they had a large 60 minute addition, then dry hopped. Not much hop flavor.....but then again, I'm an ass.

Good Luck on the competition, brewmen!!
scribe
scribe
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Ale (Extra IPA) Empty Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Ale (Extra IPA)

Post  Harker Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:01 am

Great beer! I am in agreement with scribe and jester, not enough hop aroma. A lot of my appreciation for the IPA lies in the aroma. IPA is probably my favorite style of beer, but the aroma makes and breaks it. You can't deny that the flavor and balance of this beer is fantastic, but without the aroma I give it a 7.5 out of 10. The boulevard single-wide IPA has a great aroma, but not as balanced. I give the boulevard a 7.5 out of 10 for those reasons. I'll buy them both!

The Goose Island Imperial is on tap at Zen for those of you who didn't go with us the other night. It's overpriced, but its great to say you've tried it. I think we are going there after YiaYias for a pint on Saturday eve. I hope you all come out for Porter's birthday excursion and poker party following.
Harker
Harker

Back to top Go down

Post  Porter Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:04 pm

I would agree that the aroma of the torpedo is not on the level with many others - however, to me the flavor/balance is among the best of single ipas out there. Also, the boulevard is MUCH more carbonated than the torpedo which produces a far more noticeable aroma. If the torpedo had co2 equal to the single wide (which I'm very glad that it does not), I think the aromas would be much more similar. But then again, I'm also an asshole
--Porter
Porter
Porter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum