Keg Ferguson

Go down

Keg Ferguson

Post  scribe on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:47 pm

That's right! Jester and I took the Keggle Plunge. This guy on Craig's List was selling two good condition, stainless steel kegs for 50 bucks a pop (he only wanted the deposit money back). So, once we find some welders--it's 10 gallon batch time! Let either of us know if you guys know anyone who can cut steel!

Pictures: Coming Soon!
scribe
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

$50 keg purchase

Post  Harker on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm sure that's a pretty good deal, I guess I never have priced those kegs before. Here is a thought for future brewers that want a similar deal. Throw a keg party (btw we throw at least 2-3 of these per year), pay the $50 deposit and never return the keg to retailer. There you have it, $50 for a keg. So, if anyone ever wants this deal and doesn't want to throw a party themselves, there are a few times per year that I will pay for the keg, you pay the deposit and then you keep the keg. Just an FYI for anyone wanting a similar deal to the one Scribe just got.
Harker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Keg Ferguson

Post  Librarian on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:09 pm

I left a message with a machinist I know; some of you guys know him too. He's always asking me if I need to have anything done with metal, so maybe he has access to a plasma cutter (I've heard those are the best way). I've seen pictures of kegs that people tried to cut with a saw; most of those looked pretty nasty and jagged.

I don't know if he has ever welded stainless though. Are you guys planning to weld on couplings for valves, etc., or do you plan to use weldless fittings (or do something else)? I drilled a hole in the side of mine and used a weldless bulkhead fitting. It works just fine. But if I knew somebody that could do a good job of sanitary stainless welding, I would have done that.
Librarian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schweit on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:19 pm

If you really looking around you can get them pretty cheap.. I got three free and two for 60.. What I did was asked all my old party firends that use to throw keggers, seen if they had any and thank god they did. As for cutting them Yeah find a plasma cutter, I used Oxysetaline touch for mine and it was a terrible. My fittings I just went to the home depot and biult one in the plumbing section was about 25 i think

GRATS on buying them tho IT CHANGED MY LIFE.. as it will yours.. You'd should find another and then use it as a frementer thats what I did and its amazing as well
Schweit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Librarian on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Wow, Schweit. The keg fermentor sounds cool. How do you have that set up?
Librarian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schweit on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Just like your standard carboy.. I took out the core of the keg so its just the shell no inards and the bought a stopper from northern brewer #11 I think and thats its... I have plan further down the road to weld fittings on it and turn it into a conial system frementer.. but it works great the way it is
Schweit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  scribe on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:29 pm

what a great idea! Good call, Schweit!

Add a 3rd keg to act as the mash tun .. and voila!--you've got a 3 keg system!
scribe
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schweit on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Im accually designing a brew sculpture that utilizes three beer kegs (hot Liquior, Mash tun, and Kettle).. hopefully I'll have it done by beginning of summer.. then I Should be able to pull off 12 gallon batches.. ALSO If I buy a d-system tap and another beer keg I can replace the tap core and force carb and have just 1 keg, not 2 corny and some bottles
Schweit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down